OECD is an international economic organisation of 35 member countries founded in 1961 to stimulate economic progress and world trade. The mission of the OECD is to promote policies that will improve the economic and social well-being of people around the world. Their audiences are diverse including a wide variety of policy makers and influences. One of the aims of this project was to increase their influence by reaching citizens and voters directly.
The goal of the project was to research user requirements, analyse current OECD digital channels and develop the information architecture and web design for a new OECD web presence. The OECD corporate website must provide a structure to disseminate OECD’s communication campaigns and enable users to:
- Complete top tasks across the ecosystem of OECD channels in a coherent way
- Search and discover OECD content
- Keep informed of OECD outputs including evidence bases, policy recommendations and communications
- Use the content on any device and via user-centric features such as downloading, sharing and embedding, as well as creating customised visuals from OECD data
Our main challenges involved reviewing and rationalising the large number of existing digital channels managed by the OECD, and creating an information architecture that worked for such a diverse audience, including laymen through to subject matter experts.
- Planning and facilitating:
- workshops and interviews with key stakeholders, channel managers, project experts to gather their views on each channel’s constraints, uses, purpose, audiences, options to consolidate
- workshops and interviews with audience representatives (internal) / users (external) to gather their views on existing personas, help in creating new ones and develop user journeys
- user testing workshops with external users testing task-based scenarios
- card sorting workshops with external users
- Drafting, running and analysing several user surveys with over 5000 respondents
- Development of user journeys and personas based on research
- Clarification of digital channel positioning based on research
- Information architecture development
- Wireframe and interactive prototype development
- Detailed presentations to stakeholders throughout
This project will:
- Define users and their needs to modernise the corporate digital platform with a consistent and coherent user-centric approach.
- Increase reach and impact of dissemination by making more communications content shareable, embeddable and easy to use. The site will set the foundation to better engage with stakeholders, develop networks and contribute to the conversation.